April 23, 2005

Different Religious Perspective

I was supposed to be in Montreal this weekend as well, but was beset by illness. After lots of bedrest, I'm up and at 'em and figured I would step up and post while my fellow bloggers are out of town.

The Christian Right gets a lot of press, but not nearly as much is known about the Christian left - the folks who say "what would Jesus do?" and don't reply "start a war with Iraq!" or "force mothers on welfare into marriage!" Some would rightly argue that Jesus would expand welfare and shut down the School of the Americas (pardon me, Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation).

Sojourners is, in its own words, "a Christian ministry whose mission is to proclaim and practice the biblical call to integrate spiritual renewal and social justice." They caught my eye last fall for their continuing opposition to war with Iraq, and outspoken criticism of the way President Bush was sometimes treated as the mouthpiece of all Christianity.

I'm a person of faith, and was happy to find Sojourners but definitely don't agree with everything they say (I'm not advocating a Jim Wallis cult of followers - we differ on some important issues). But if you have only seen one face of Christianity since Bush was elected, take the time to see another one. Their current action asks for support for small farmers in America. Other recent actions have advocated debt cancellation for African nations and a censure of Sen. Bill Frist for his skewed representaion of Christianity.

No comments:

Post a Comment