June 3, 2005

Spelling Ain't Grammar


Here's a post for all the grammarians that seem to haunt our blog. Winner of the National Spelling Bee Anurag Kashyap commented on his victory today saying "I was really nervous because I worked really hard on that and I wanted to do good," during a Good Morning America appearance today. Come on kid, you're one of the brightest students in our country and you make one of the most elementary grammar mistakes in the book. I'll admit that it's petty to beat up on an 8th grader, but I feel like someone who can correctly spell "sphygmomanometer" and "appoggiatura" should be able to follow basic grammar rules.

4 comments:

  1. After he won he used the word ecstaticness to describe how he felt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came upon this random blog of a nat'l spelling bee parent last night while pressing the "Next Blog" button on Blogger. It's not that funny but ever see that movie "Spellbound"? That shit was great.

    http://nouveauniveau.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't gotten around to seeing Spellbound yet, although I have heard good reviews from people. It's #4 on my Netflix queue though, so I should get around to it when this finals business is done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. george and i watched it the other day. most of those parents are out of their fucking heads.

    ReplyDelete