March 2, 2006

The Nick Sylvester Thing

So Pitchfork writer and Village Voice editor Nick Sylvester is in some trouble. Apparently he fabricated parts of a human-interest story about NYC chicks supposedly fighting back against the techniques in that book The Game (note: no affiliation with Black Wall Street's The Game), the one about the best lines to pick up chicks in bars or whatnot. The whole Game shtick has always sounded pretty cheesy to me, but I am not female so I guess that doesn't matter a whole lot.

What does matter is that Sylvester apparently got suspended for it, probably worse by now. And then the Voice pulled it from their website.

I'm not the biggest fan of Sylvester for a few reasons, but the internet backlash against this kid has just been incredible. It's predictable in retrospect: he went to Harvard, he's young, he's pioneering the new hipster writing style that a lot of people (myself included) find pretentious and almost unreadable. But it would be stupid to contend that he doesn't have some talent. I say give the kid a second chance: I think he was given an assignment he wasn't ready for, and I don't think he should lose his career at 23 or however old he is.

On the other hand, he did make some shit up and he's got to apologize a lot more convincingly than he's done so far.

PS. Apparently you can get the article in the Google cache here, complete with beautiful illustration.

Sorry for the high volume of links. This is a picture of T-pain, who both Sylvester and myself enjoy. Especially "I'm N Luv (Wit a Stripper)."


No comments:

Post a Comment