December 9, 2006

The Holiday

I was dragged to The Holiday last night. You know, the chick-flick marketed toward the "I never wanted to stop watching Love Actually" crowd.

It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Kate Winslet is, as expected, brilliant, Cameron Diaz's terrible acting wasn't detrimental for most of the film as it was covered over by Jude Law's charm, and there were a few somewhat unexpected twists which almost made the plot interesting. The really interesting part (for me, at least) was its engagement with the culture of Hollywood, obviously not in the way The Player did, but in a manner that was pleasantly nostalgic, if nothing else.

At any rate, there are a lot of shitty movies out there. The Holiday is at least better than shitty, and possibly quite fun, depending on your taste, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment