February 8, 2005

From the Diaries of M. Edward S. Stanton XIV

Jan. 15, 2005

Ah what happened to the good old days, of abundant, unfettered virility? When no pesky woman could interfere with the sacred bond between Dartmouth men as they pounded one another on the football fields only to read the classics to one another the next moment! Yes, just as Cicero triumphantly wrote: Vir sum; testes habeo!


March 28, 2004

Ah what a comfort it is to be on this side, to see so clearly human nature, for as the eminent Dinesh d'Souza has determined, no liberal understands it, only I and our kind do. Truth of all truths! How obvious it is to me who can so easily project my own chronic cynicism onto the rest of the world that no one is capable of goodness, or anything but the Hobbesian impulses; how easy to settle contented in a worldview which, once forged, can never change! Oh Churchill, you saw how liberalism is but a pretty, petty phase of youth, how conservatism is the condition sine qua non of intellectual, ethical maturity. You added no second evolution onto that lapidary epigram, so oft quoted, but never enough, in the pages of our Review -- no, once a conservative, always a conservative...

March 11, 2004

I declare this College to be mine, nine generations of Stantons built it, and, by God, though my family is anything but associated by blood with the dark Mediterranean peoples of Italy, Spain, Greece, &c., I claim Homer, Sophocles, Plato, Seneca, Ovid, and the whole lot of them to be mine also! Long live the canon! I sit astride a mountain, this grand Western philosophical tradition, mine, all mine, and anyone who attempts to budge it, chip away at it, or even scale it so as to join me peacefully at the summit will suffer my wrath as I rain boulders, the classics, and, if need be, Ayn Rand books upon their heads.

M. Edward S. Stanton X

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:16 PM

    Throw in some Lovecraft riffage and you've really got something going!

    ReplyDelete