February 16, 2005

Rejected

So I submitted a significantly revised version of my post below about Howard Dean (I'll post it as a comment to this) to the D to try to get it published today. Nada. Instead, we have two more illuminating op-eds about the infinitely fascinating Dartmouth Greek system. So I wrote a note to the editors, both of whom I know from being a copyeditor of the D myself -- which I am hoping is the main reason my op-ed didn't go through. (Does being a once-a-week copyeditor makes for an irresolvable conflict of journalistic integrity?) I've written news articles for the D before but they said if I was willing not to write any more they would publish my op-ed if it was good enough. Hell, I might even give up the copyediting if that's what it takes! Regardless of what the reason my op-ed didn't make it is, the sentiment of my note still applies:

Date: 16 Feb 2005 15:27:48 EST
From: Christopher J. Bateman
Subject: op-eds
To: Lindsay R. Barnes III, Colin S. Barry

What's up guys...I was a little disappointed not to see my op-ed about Dean in the paper today, mainly because the op-eds in there today, and from the past four days mostly, have all been Dartmouth-centric, and, well, kind of inane:

Today:
Full of Sound and Fury...
Basement Aesthetics

Tues:
The Anti-Pledge of Allegiance
Best Weekend Ever!

Mon:
Being Helpful and Selfish (not about D but pretty vacuous)
The Bonfire of the Inanities (only one non-D and substantive)

Fri:
Bring on the Liquor
Carnival Wishes

I understand we had Winter Carnival and all, and yeah ridiculous Dartmouth-centric op-eds have always been an amusing staple of the D, but they seem to have been getting a little too ubiquitous recently. I would have had no problem with not seeing my op-ed in the D today if there had been a substantive op-ed there about national/international issues or something. Just wanted to put in my two cents here, and I hope you'll take this constructively. Thanks.

Chris

1 comment:

  1. What I sent to the D:Howard Dean, DNC Chair
    By Chris Bateman


    Remember when the National Review, during the Democratic primaries, ran that cover showing Howard Dean and begging, "Please Elect This Man"?

    Howard Dean has inspired sharp reactions in conservatives. First it was largely skepticism: how could any Democrat who actually criticized the Iraq war, who questioned the president, who said what he believed, have a chance at winning the general election? Dean did all those things, and though he lost the primary, he ended the monopoly the Right had on political discourse after September 11. He paved the way for the Democratic platform and, thus, the presidential campaign both to be meaningful, and for John Kerry to have an excellent chance of winning.

    Howard Dean is back, and now it’s largely anxiety conservatives are showing. On the National Review website you'll find no headlines reading, “Thank you for electing this man.” Instead, in “Beware the Doctor” Eric Pheiffer writes, “Conservatives should not underestimate Howard Dean.”

    Having seen his resilience, the people at the National Review, I believe, can hear the famed echoes of Dean – that is, the truly lasting echoes of an articulate, measured, impassioned voice calling out the Bush administration and presenting promising alternatives in the clearest, most resonant language from any major political figure in recent memory. Not to mention Dean’s proven fundraising ability and the legions of grassroots progressives he inspires. All this makes them a little worried.

    And so I was a little baffled at Monday’s article in The D (“Campus conservatives mock Dean at candlelight vigil on the Green”). I wondered, “Why would these campus conservatives go to such trouble? And why celebrate?” My first guess was that this is the best idea of fun Republicans can come up with. But beyond that, either campus conservatives are getting dangerously presumptuous, or they’re a little frightened of the fight Democrats under Dean will bring to them, and they’re trying to “laugh it all up.” If the latter is true, I think this is called sublimation, and it's also a subtle if inane attempt at demoralizing Democrats.

    Democrats of all persuasions: stand by Dean. Read his acceptance speech and be inspired. I’m confident the DNC has elected the right person for the job. The Right can now begin scrambling.

    ReplyDelete