March 21, 2007

Lily Tomlin Hearts David O. Russell

The Onion AV Club has a video clip up that was captured during filming on David O. Russell's "I Heart Huckabees." It features a vicious tirade punctuated by Russell yelling at Lily Tomlin from two different doors, which is pretty comical.


Russell has made one incredibly brilliant film, "Three Kings," but I find the rest of his output pretty underwhelming. "I Heart Huckabees" lacked the punch I was expecting from it (maybe this clip shows why), and "Flirting with Disaster" was poorly paced and dull for my tastes. "Spanking the Monkey," which I haven't seen, is an Oedipal comedy about a med student. Murakami's novel Kafka on the Shore filled up my decade's worth of Oedipal narratives, so I'll be waiting awhile to see that one.

At any rate, I enjoyed the clip. Directors yelling at actors for the sake of their art. What's not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment