August 16, 2009

The Crazy Paradox

"Dartmouth is a paradox." These are the wise words of President Jim Yong Kim, quoted from his letter on the Dartmouth website. We are all aware of the truth of this statement. Even those of us who aren't actually at Dartmouth yet and simply obsessed with it (-cough- not that I know any people like that) are aware.

I don't yet know what makes Dartmouth so very crazy and I doubt I'll ever fully explore the reasons behind its wonderful mania. But if the Ivy League was voting for "Most Awesome Insane Ivy Ever Woo!" (why wasn't that a superlative in my high school yearbook?), Dartmouth would definitely take the prize.

Regardless of the results of such a poll (Harvard would try and rig it- and fail), Dartmouth is a paradox, and an awesome one. As President Kim says, it is an "intimate community" but manages to "[explode] with energy." That's why I'm attending. Heck, I'm pretty sure that's why all of us are attending (certain sports involving paddles notwithstanding).

My point? Ah, my point- not much of anything you didn't already know, really; just a bit of tribute to the craziness of the Big Green from the desktop of the Little Green.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:14 PM

    Please stop pretending to understand Dartmouth before even experiencing a single day of classes or a single area hiking trip, much less a Homecoming, Winter Carnival, or Green Key. It's rather obnoxious when freshmen babble like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't be rude. I understand your frustration, but I'm only being enthusiastic, which I'm pretty sure isn't a crime. Don't hold it against me. You were once like this, too. Let's be friends, or at least nonconfrontational acquaintances.

    ReplyDelete