August 14, 2009

Hello, Mr. Rains

In case you haven't heard, everyone who goes to Dartmouth is amazing. That's nothing new. And of course every one of us is amazing in a different way. Blah, blah, blah. We all know we're special and awesome and etcetera, etcetera. But I'm pretty sure there's at least one person in the Class of 2013 who is entirely and absolutely unique.

That would be Mr. Don Rains, the first forty-five-year-old Dartmouth student.

According to this article, Mr. Rains isn't too nervous about fitting in on campus. I admire him for his courage. After all, basically all of the forty-five-year-old people I know shy back from teenagers and avoid them if at all possible... The general consensus of that older generation seems to be that we as the younger generation are juvenile delinquents obsessed with technogadgets and crashing into trees at any given moment. (...Notice I don't comment on the accuracy of this statement.) That said, I think that if Mr. Rains is motivated enough to be accepted to our illustrious institution he must be motivated enough to withstand the crazy Dartmouth social scene, age gap included.

Long story short, I don't think students at Dartmouth (especially the wide-eyed freshmen like myself) will have any problem accepting Mr. Rains as one of our own. After all, he likes Shakespeare and paints some pretty inspired pictures, which makes him more than all right in my book.
Painting
"Inner City Public Pool" by Don Rains

Suffice it to say that I think Mr. Rains will make an excellent addition to the "Worst Class Ever." As I learned yet again today from the "Freshman Edition" of the Dartmouth I received today in the mail, Dartmouth is a crazy and crazily inspired place where anything can happen. So let me be among the first of the know-nothing 'shmen to welcome Mr. Rains into our midst.

No comments:

Post a Comment