December 14, 2005

You learn something every day

Joe takes me to school on the meaning of "circular area probable" by providing a link that explains the term. "Circular area probable" is the phrase I made fun of him for here. I added an edit to my post expressing my feelings on the matter.

Joe provides important updates on a lot of Dartmouth issues, and a lot of people read him for that reason. That makes it really annoying that we have to wade through turgid prose whenever Joe wants to wax eloquent. There is simply no reason to do things like call watching television "go[ing] cathode ray tubing," for instance.

I just want to be able to read a blog without feeling like I need to eat a copy of Strunk and White's in order to purge my system of phrases like "vasty circular area probable." Joe, please, help me help you. Help me help you.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:23 PM

    Joe certainly knows how to define marriage:

    "Religious leaders- elites in their time, and rightly so- fabricated marriage in the 12th century to accomplish two huge goals; lordly goals, which were necessary to encourage a long-lasting peace and human tranquility. The aim of marriage and its raison d’etre is to (1) civilize men and (2) protect women. That’s it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:26 PM

    Oh, and more:

    "Inside every woman there is an arcadia of emotional weakness that requires defending. Inside every man, anger lies in wait, and it requires a lifelong quell. These are fundamental truths that are borne out every day in every nation."

    Seriously, though, Joe may know how to define alot of words, but he is particularly skilled at defining "fascistic" by example.

    Oh, and here's a link: http://www.dartblog.com/data/001905.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:16 PM

    Fartlog has made this point before, but I think that Joe's blog is precisely what George Orwell was thinking of in 1946 when he wrote this: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwell46.htm

    It's a little informative, but the horrible prose is like being forced to watch someone masturbate to their reflection to get the news.

    This is why I read other blogs instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how Mount Holyoke hosts something by Orwell. I'm not sure why that strikes me as odd, but it does.

    ReplyDelete