November 16, 2005

When Austen fans attack...

Members of the Jane Austen Society of America are displeased with the new version of Pride & Prejudice, starring my future wife, Keira Knightley, as well as a hell of a supporting cast and some random British dude as Darcy (Matthew MacFadyen).

They say that Keira's posture is improper for Elizabeth's character, MacFadyen ain't no thing next to Colin Firth, the dialogue is limpid or "lame," and there's too much feckin' sex in the ruddy film.

The director, Joe Wright, has been quoted as telling them to "jump in a lake."

I've seen the film actually in a sneak preview here in Glasgow. I liked it a great deal, though for reasons other than for those I liked the book. The characters are not exactly faithful to the book. They are both simpler and rounder, and often less satirized (or satirical). MacFadyen is fairly weak, I felt, but Keira can take any posture she desires. The dialogue is not crisp, but it is not artificial. And I didn't notice any sexual imagery, but then again I'm Catholic.

Go see the movie.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:31 AM

    Dude, she's your future wife too? Awesome

    ReplyDelete