November 2, 2005

Democracy uber alles

I read Joe Asch's latest missive to the Dartmouth community in today's D, in which he says the following: "In fact, this lengthy constitution resembles Europe's recently rejected constitution much more than the inspired document that guides the United States of America."

I'm struck by an impertinent and pretty naive (but sincere) question:

Why should Dartmouth be governed on the American model of democracy?

I mean, I like democracy. I like the American model of democracy--for America. I think that, with some modifications along the way, the American model of democracy set forth in the Constitution serves America pretty well.

But does that mean it will serve Dartmouth well? Using "American democracy" as a cultural value and not as a pragmatic assessment of the best possible mode of governing is a bad argument. Dartmouth is historically, organizationally, teleologically, ontologically, epistemologically, aesthetically (okay, I'm just being an asshole here) and culturally different. Should it really be governed in the same way?

The European constitution was bad because it didn't meet the needs and desires of the people it was to govern, not because it differed from the American model. More democracy--more "American democracy"--simply should not be the end pursued everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment